Book Review: Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff

I can't wait for Darkdawn. Nevernight was good. Godsgrave was better. I'm almost scared for Darkdawn.... I'll admit, given what I've heard about this series and Godsgrave especially, I was expecting more from it. It was a good book, but I don't know if it was as mind-blowing and spectacular as everyone else seemed to think. And if you'll recall, I was also confused on my feelings for Nevernight. I hope I enjoy Darkdawn like I've enjoyed these.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
    Assassin Mia Corvere has found her place among the Blades of Our Lady of Blessed Murder, but many in the Red Church ministry think she’s far from earned it. Plying her bloody trade in a backwater of the Republic, she’s no closer to ending Consul Scaeva and Cardinal Duomo, or avenging her familia. And after a deadly confrontation with an old enemy, Mia begins to suspect the motives of the Red Church itself.

When it’s announced that Scaeva and Duomo will be making a rare public appearance at the conclusion of the grand games in Godsgrave, Mia defies the Church and sells herself to a gladiatorial collegium for a chance to finally end them. Upon the sands of the arena, Mia finds new allies, bitter rivals, and more questions about her strange affinity for the shadows. But as conspiracies unfold within the collegium walls, and the body count rises, Mia will be forced to choose between loyalty and revenge, and uncover a secret that could change the very face of her world.



MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
   Mia Corvere certainly has grown as a character. I loved how she kept questioning her morals and decisions, and that she kept fight towards her goal. I really enjoyed the parts where she took into account the things she had and that others weren't as lucky as her. I also loved when she had to save the day by stuff she learned in Spiderkiller's class, multiple times.
    I'll be honest, I don't know how much more I can review of other characters without spoiling it. There are some side characters that are pretty relevant in terms of being in the plot, but not relevant to the story. Furian. Maggot. Sid. The twins. Leona.
   
POLL TIME: If you would like me to do spoiler reviews, let me know! I'll always mark it as a spoiler filled review, but I honestly have no idea how to talk about the things I want to without giving spoilers. If this is something you're interested in reading, just let me know and I'll do a Godsgrave follow-up review.


MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
    I was completely not expecting the whole "Mia is a slave pretty much the whole book" plot line. It was interesting. You would think, given Mia's history and personality, that would have been a recipe for someone to make a remark about how she is nothing and a worthless girl, and for her to fire right back at the accuser or to simply just kill them or fight them, but that wasn't the case. I mean, sure, there were a few instances; but for the most part Mia understood her "place" (even though she was the one who "wanted" to be there) Really, when you think long enough about the book, you realize how much planning went into this on Mia's part. She knew from the beginning that she wanted to be "captured", then sold, then she would move through the ranks and kill her way to the top, and then come face to face with the person she wants to kill most.
    The revelations in the last chapter alone were enough excitement for another book. And the "Dicta Ultima" at the end (whatever that is) was honestly just cruel but totally accurate, curse you Kristoff. I am eagerly awaiting the next book. The conclusion to the Nevernight Chronicle, Darkdawn.


MY OFICIALL RATING:3.9/5 STARS

Goodreads links: Nevernight - Godsgrave - Darkdawn
Links to buy Nevernight: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Links to buy Godsgrave: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Links to pre-order Darkdawn (the final book in the trilogy!):
Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans