Book Review: The Gentlemans Guide To Vice & Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

I messed up. I thought I wrote this review, but it never happened! I read this at the beginning of April, but then we had some stuff going on in my family and I just took a break from everything. And alas, it was a library book so I cannot go back and double check my facts so if I'm wrong or forgetting something, please let me know!


OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores. (Taken from the TGGTVAV Goodreads page, linked below)



MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
      Monty is what people today would consider a player. He doesn't care for his responsibilities, he sleeps around with both men and women, and he is the heir in line for his father. Unfortunately, there are a few things bothering Monty. His father is abusive and they both pretty much hate each other (not that he would want anything from his father anyways), and he is in love with his best friend since childhood; Percy. I'll admit, Monty was pretty selfish in this book. Still likeable, but not a very good friend of brother. Almost always drunk, selfish, doesn't think about his actions or the consequences that will follow. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being a bad person and 10 being an excellent person, I'd say Monty is a 5.5. Sorry, Monty.

     Percy is Monty's best friend. He is also mixed African, which means he is just dark skinned enough to get dirty looks from everyone. He is the one that keeps Monty in check, and it's a good thing too, because who knows what would've happened to him if he hadn't been there for Monty. Percy is a pretty laid back person, always aware of what is going on around him and how people perceive him. He is also dealing with his own problems, and you'll just have to read the book to find out what they are.
     Felicity is Monty's younger sister, and all she wants to do is go to medical school. She is as sassy as her brother and quick on her feet, but she she and Monty do not get along very well. (I wish I could remember more about her, I really liked her. I can't wait for her book!)

     I loved the dynamic these  three had together. It was very fun to read. I am super excited for Felicity's book, The Ladies Guide to Petticoats and Piracy! II hope we get to hear from Monty and Percy, since I'm pretty positive that they split ways in her book.



MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
    I really liked the idea of the three of them going on their tour Europe to get ready to enter their adulthood responsibilities. Monty is going because he needs to grow up before he can start taking his father's business, Percy is going to be dropped off at college, and Felicity is going to be dropped off at a ladies finishing school (much to her dismay). I enjoyed this book immensely. It was very fun to read. The part I liked most was the ending, because it felt so peaceful and happy. I also really enjoyed the "holdup" in the beginning, which sets them on the journey that they take. My least favorite part was when they were in Spain (?*), just because everyone was uncomfortable and awkward. Second hand embarrassment kills me. I loathe it.
    I really enjoyed the "Pirates" and hope we get to see them again. He (I forget his name. The Captain) knew Monty for less than a week, and was already a better father figure than Monty's own father. I want to hear more of their story!
* I am honestly not sure if this was the country. Like I said, it's been a minute since I read this!


     So. This book was a very fun, light read. I believe I finished it in a day, but I read it so long ago that I honestly can't remember. It's okay, it's not that important. There were moments that made you wonder if everyone was going to be okay in the end, physically and mentally, but you'll just have to read to find out which parts.😉

MY OVERALL RATING: 4/5 STARS
Goodreads Link
Purchase Links: AmazonBarnes & Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Sequel Goodreads Link
Pre-order the sequel! AmazonBarnes & Noble - Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans