Book Review: The Dark Beneath The Ice by Amelinda Berube

AHH! It's been so long since I posted a review, let alone read anything! It seems like I either post reviews or post pictures on my bookstagram (@somebooksandramblings), there is no in between! I promise I will try to be better, especially not that I am a part of my local indie's teen advisory board which requires a review each month for a not yet published book.  Today is my review of The Dark Beneath The Ice by Amelinda Berube, which comes out in August of 2018!


OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
Something is wrong with Marianne.

It's not just that her parents have split up, or that life hasn't been the same since she quit dancing. Or even that her mother has checked herself into the hospital.

She's losing time. Doing things she would never do. And objects around her seem to break whenever she comes close.

Something is after her. But a first attempt at an exorcism calls down the full force of the thing's rage. It demands Marianne give back what she stole. And Marianne must uncover the truth that lies beneath it all before the nightmare can take what it think it's owed, leaving Marianne trapped in the darkness of the other side. (Taken from Goodreads)




MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
     The main characters in this story are Marianne and Rhiannon, aka Ron. Secondary characters include Aunt Jen, Marianne's mother and father, and Ron's mother. In this review I will be only getting into Marianne and Ron's characters.
     Marianne is the main-main character of the book. Her parents are in the middle of a messy divorce when all of a sudden Marianne's mom drops her off at her aunt Jen's house and checks herself into the hospital. While Marianne is staying with her aunt, weird and scary things start happening to her. She keeps blacking out and missing periods of time where she does bad things like break the mirror, break all of the chalk in her classroom, get attacked by a sewing pin box, almost drown, etc. It was pretty frighting to read and I can't imagine what it would have been to go through that. 
     The portrayal of her anxiety and therapy visits were scarily accurate. Amelinda really did her due diligence on this. Everything to do with her taking her meds and talking with her therapist was very real, and both me and my sister go through it monthly. The out-patient treatment plan is also very real and well portrayed. My sister went for six months and it helped her immensely.
     I loved Marianne and Ron's dynamic (and totally shipped them from chapter four onward). I know it's the cliche to have the goth emo chick to show up and actually be nice and different, but I loved it anyways. The scene between the two of them on the bleachers was so adorable. I was also able to relate to Marianne's dilemma with Ingrid. I know what it's like to drift away from friends, and it sucks. I also know what it's like to question your sexuality and I really felt for Marianne.
     Ron was a good side kick to Marianne. I really enjoyed how much she actually cared for Marianne, and how she actually wanted to help her. Like I said before, I think the lonely goth girl was cliche but I am a sucker for cliches so pile them on.


MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
      I felt the plot was entertaining. I really couldn't put the book down! I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next, and if Marianne and Ron were going to get together, and what is actually happening to her? It was riveting. I felt like the school jocks and popular kids being mean was kind of stereotypical but it helped show the characters backstories and development so I was okay with it. I liked the additive of Ron's mom being a "psychic", and how she showed that there was real danger instead of brushing it off.
     I one thing I didn't like much was the ending. I just didn't really understand it. I understood how it stemmed back to an earlier conversation between Marianne and Ron but It seemed like they were talking in metaphors and it was confusing. I didn't like how it seemed like the adults just forgot or let go what happened to Marianne either. I would've liked more closure on that front.
     Overall, I really enjoyed this book.

MY OVERALL RATING: 3.5/5 STARS
This book is to be published August 7th, 2018. I received this copy from Quail Ridge Books in return for an honest review.

PRE-ORDER: Amazon - Barnes & Noble - Book Depository - Quail Ridge Books

If you pre-order this book, you have the option to send in your receipt and receive fun swag related to the book from the author! Submit your receipt to the link to be entered!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans