Book Review: The Darkest Legacy by Alexandra Bracken

          I have so many books to read and review it's not even funny. Most of them are either for TAB, from the library or from Netgalley. So of course as soon as I got this in the mail I read it. In my defense, I waited a full day before picking it up, but still. *sigh*
          I adored this book. If I didn't love Zu before, I certainly do now. I was so happy to see the old Black Betty gang again, especially Liam! I liked him the best out of them in this book (besides Zu, obviously.) I am obsessed with Roman and Priya and I hope one day Alex will come back to these characters.

Fun fact: I believe Mercy by Shawn Mendes is the Rubiam anthem. I just wanted to put that out there. Also Shawn Mendes is who I see Liam as. Anyways, on to the official review!

The Darkest Legacy By Alexandra Bracken, published July 31st, 2018 by Disney-Hyperion. Intended audience is 13+ YA+, but there is a lot of strong language used. This book has Vida and Priyanka, what did you expect?

Publisher description:
           Five years after the destruction of the so-called rehabilitation camps that imprisoned her and countless other Psi kids, seventeen-year-old Suzume "Zu" Kimura has assumed the role of spokesperson for the interim government, fighting for the rights of Psi kids against a growing tide of misinformation and prejudice. But when she is accused of committing a horrifying act, she is forced to go on the run once more in order to stay alive.
          Determined to clear her name, Zu finds herself in an uncomfortable alliance with Roman and Priyanka, two mysterious Psi who could either help her prove her innocence or betray her before she gets the chance. But as they travel in search of safety and answers, and Zu grows closer to the people she knows she shouldn't trust, they uncover even darker things roiling beneath the veneer of the country's recovery. With her future-and the future of all Psi-on the line, Zu must use her powerful voice to fight back against forces that seek to drive the Psi into the shadows and save the friends who were once her protectors.

         From #1 New York Times best-selling author Alexandra Bracken comes a harrowing story of resilience, resistance, and reckoning that will thrill loyal fans and new readers alike

          I am going to start this off by saying I think this is my second favorite book in the whole Darkest Minds series. If I had to put them in order, it would be:
1. Neverfade
2. The Darkest Legacy
3. The Darkest Minds
4. In the Afterlight
5. Through the Dark bind up

          That's where I currently stand, anyway. Who knows if Alex will publish more books in this world! I certainly hope she does. Every series has a certain feel to it, but this one feels like nostalgia and badass-ery. In this book in particular, Zu was a complete badass. I loved her witty one liners and sass, how she reacted to things (the teleprompter for example), learning about her limits, finding the strenght to overcome her PTSD of the camps, and so much more. One of my favorite scenes with her was when she was at the farmhouse and taking the electricity from the oncoming thunderstorm and just feeling. I felt proud of how far she has come.
          One of my unexpected favorites was Priyanka. I really didn't like her very much up until about a third of the way through. I didn't trust either her or Roman until after the raid at Haven. I loved how she was a mini Vida though! I knew that they were gonna like each other when they finally met. This is gonna be an unpopular opinion so bear with me, but I didn't feel like the relationship between Lana and Priya was necessary. In all honesty, I felt like the Roman, Priya and Lana story line was way too similar to the Sam, Lucas and Mia story line. but I loved Priya and Roman as a pair. Not romantically but as friends.
          I could tell right away that Roman was going to be the love interest, and I'm not super disappointed with how that turned out. I'm a little disappointed that it was that obvious but I love Roman so I'm glad it was him. I really enjoyed his backstory and learning about Blue Star. I loved how he told his story to Zu. There was just something about it. Real talk: I'm a sucker for the "damsel in distress" but then the girl saves herself and the boy watches on in awe, or that but the people who kept underestimating her watch on in awe. This particular trope happened in the beginning with teh three of them, so that made me happy because it also included another one of my favorite tropes, the "damsel" making sarcastic remarks to her kidnapper before attacking them. It was a nice 3 for 1 trope deal 😉
          I was pretty sad at how Chubs and Liam acted towards each other in the flashbacks and in the present time, and how Liam and Ruby behaved.It made me sad. I did not sign up to be sad because the Black Betty gang was breaking up. But on that note, I'm glad they went back for her. Even if she wasn't salvageable, it made me happy. Mostly, I just felt mad that Chubs, Vida, Ruby and Liam could be so selfish and not tell Zu anything, or Ruby and Liam not telling Chubs, Vida or Zu anything. It wasn't them or their dynamic, especially the fight between Chubs and Liam in the flashback.
          On the other hand, one of my favorite parts of the whole book was when Zu & Co. went to Sam and Lucas' farm to look for Ruby and found Liam, then Chubs and Vida came and it was almost familiar again getting them together. I really enjoyed it. I knew what was coming as soon as Zu was outside alone with Roman but it was still nice. Another favorite scene was when Zu is driving with Liam, Roman and Priya and they keep calling him old and he tells Zu he knows about what happened outside. I loved the small banter, it made me laugh. Especially all the jabs at him being old but I think Roman's reaction was just, given that Liam kept calling him Rambo 😂
          I really hope we get another book in the series, just to explore the "differently different" kids, what happened to Clancy and Ruby, and what was going to happen with Lana, Moore and Dr. Wendell. I just want everyone to be okay again :(

My overall rating for this book is a 4.5/5 stars, and it would have been a resounding 5 stars had it not been so awkward in the beginning. I hate that part in any book, when the characters don't trust each other so they make mistakes in holding things back or lying and get everyone in trouble. It's not one of my favorite tropes.

Links to purchase The Darkest Legacy: AmazonQuail Ridge books - Book Depository - Audible
Links to purchase The Darkest Minds box set: Amazon Quail Ridge books - Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2018 wrap-up!

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

2019 Blog Plans