My 2018 wrap-up!

At the end of 2017, I decided I wanted to try doing a book jar. How that works is you take a jar (or anything that will hold paper) and every time you finish reading a book, you write down the title, author and star rating (optional, I didn't but I will this year) plus a short review or your thoughts on it, then I like to put the date on it so I know when I read it and stick it in the jar!

Now, I kept forgetting to add books to my Goodreads challenge after I put the note in the jar, so I think my counting is a bit off. I'm going into this believing that I read 67 books in 2018. I guess we'll see if I can count at the end of this!

So, how this is going to work is I will be writing, in order of when I read them, what the book was and my review of it. They will be written word for word. Given that I wrote some of these days later when I remembered or late at night, please forgive any bad wording. and SPOILER ALERT! THERE WILL BE SPOILERS HERE! This is going to be a long one! (future Sam, please remember to save after each one!)

Here we go!

January: 7 books read

#1: 1/15/18, Vicious by V.E. Schwab
I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for Vengeful. The suicides were kinda triggering, but I love Victor. It actually concerns me how much I love him, given that he's a villain. And Sydney. <3 her.

#2:1/17/18, Truthwitch by Susan Dennard (reread)
My second time reading it, and somehow I love it even more. I read it for E and I's book club, and she loved it as well. Successfully converted another one.😉
(E is my younger sister, and we decided at the beginning of the year to do a book club together to get her into reading. It worked. She reads more than me now.)

#3: 1/18/18, Windwitch by Susan Dennard (reread)
My fave book of 2017, and even though I've read it before It might be one of my 2018 contenders. Iseult is my girl. Iz + Aeduan is 💗💗💗

#4: 1/17/18, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
I wish I had read this back in 4th grade because I think I would've enjoyed it more. I am excited to see the movie.
(reader, I have still not seen the movie.)

#5: 1/27/18, Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (reread)
I will never get tired of this series.Breathtaking, suspenseful and amazing. I love the characters, and reading through emails, IM's and groupchats etc.

#6: 1/28/18, Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (reread)
My favorite of the trilogy so far, but we'll see how Obsidio does. I loved this one so much because of Nik, Ella & Hanna.

#7: 1/29/18, These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Kinda cheesy, but I read it in one sitting, so interesting nonetheless. Reminds me a little bit of the Hunger Games without the murdering/fight to the death and love triangle. Eager to read the next one.


February: 8 books read

#8: 2/1/18, Because You Love To Hate Me anthology edited by Amerie
My favorite stories were:
Death Knell by V.E. Schwab
Shirly and Jim by Susan Dennard
The Sea Witch by Marissa Meyer
Beautiful Venom by Cindy Pon
You, You, It's All About You by Adam Silvera
Sera by Nicola Yoon
Indigo and Shade by April Genevieve Tucholk

#9: 2/3/18, This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
I enjoyed this one more than the first. I think it was because of Jubilee. I'm glad that it wasn't an insta-love like it was last book, and I'm glad we got to see Tarver and Lilac again.

#10: 2/6/18, Wires & Nerves: Gone Rogue by Marissa Meyer
I loved it. I'm so sad that it marks the end of The Lunar Chronicles. This duology really made me appreciate Iko more.

#11: 2/9/18, Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
I loved it. I'm so sad the series is over 😟 I noticed I definitely had a thing for the bad boy. Sorry, Tarver. But hellooo Gideon and Flynn.

#12: 2/12/18, Unearthed by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
It was a very quick read, and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait for the sequel!

#13: 2/16/18, Sightwitch by Susan Dennard
I really enjoyed this! I love Kullen & it's very hard knowing that he is dead-ish 😟 I want to know how he and Ryber met up again though. And is Aeduan Eridysi's child?

#14: 2/21/18, Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
I started this book in 2017 when Mom bought it for me because no library had it, & I got about 1/4th way through when I just stopped reading it. I just didn't like the footnotes, but I picked it up again yesterday and read probably about 1/2 of it. I was up until 11:30 pm. The Olympics were on and I chose to read instead of watching Mirai Nagasu & Bradie Tennell skate :/ But I don't regret it too much 🤷 I loved it.

#15: 2/28/18, Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughn
This was my first official graphic novel. Not quite sure what to think. I know I can't judge them all based on 1, but it was weird. I am going to see if dad will take me to the comic book store.

March: 5 books read

#16: 3/1/18, Paper Girls 2 by Brian K. Vaughn
Put of the 3 that are published, I think I like the second one better. I loved the time travel aspect and all of the different Erins.

#17: 3/1/18, Paper Girls 3 by Brian K. Vaughn
This one was weird, but I'm excited at the glimpse of Mac and KJ kissing 💁 I don't like the theme of the kids finding adults, the adults subsequently taking over and then they treat the kids like crap. Not a fan 😔

#18: 3/18/18, Obsidio by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
This was a fantastic finale and I can't believe it's over. I am not a huge fan of Asha and Rhys, and kept looking forward to the parts with everyone else, but it was still good. The ending with everyone eating was great. With all the easter eggs they planted in the first 2 books, a reread is due soon.

#19: 3/18/18, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
I enjoyed The Outsiders. I read it for Literature,& watched the movie too. I really liked Ponyboy and Johnny, I was able to relate to them. Probably because the book was written by a 16 year old, and nobody knows 16 year olds like 16 year olds 🤷

#20: 3/22/18, One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
I loved this! I read it in one sitting, It was so enthralling. I never knew what was going to happen! I'm a big Natewyn shipper. I could probably start compiling a list of all the bad-but-secretly-good-and-hot-boy characters that I seem to be drawn to. Easily a 5 star book. I wish there would be another one 😕
(little did Past Sam (tm) know that Karen would announce that there would be more books, the next one told from Mave's point of view! And past Sam (tm)'s heart would swoon when she found out that around the the end of June, there would be a special edition of the book released with a few exclusive chapters in it! (Bronwyn! Nate! 😍)

April: 3 books read

#21: 4/2/18, They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera
I loved this so much. 5 stars, easily. I loved Mateo's story, on how he learned to live. I loved Rufas' story on learning to love. I loved the Plutos and everything else; especially the Bi representation (given that I came out yesterday, [way to come out on April Fools, Past (tm) Sam 🙄]) I can't wait to read more by Adam.

#22: 4/6/18, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice & Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
I really enjoyed this, and I'm excited for The Ladies Guide to Petticoats & Piracy to come out! Henry was a flawed but lovable character, Felecity was great, which is why I'm so excited for Ladie's guide, and Percy was awesome. You really felt for Monty (Henry) and wished he would get better. I also loved the love story between Monty & Percy. It was also great how casual everyone was about Monty's bisexuality.

#23: 4/27/18, Defy The Worlds by Claudia Gray
I really enjoyed this sequel, but I think the first is still my favorite. I can't believe both ended with such a cliffhanger, and I hope he doesn't turn her into a mech! I'm also mad that he is going back to Gillian. I don't like her.

May: 2 books read

#24: 5/1/18, A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas
I enjoyed this book. The length & trivial problems they had were a refreshing break from the normal length of the books she writes + the normal problems her characters have. I read this in 1.5 hours (the fastest so far for a SJM book, QoS coming in second) The only thing I didn't like was is how often their wealth is mentioned. If I took a shot every time Feyre mentioned her or Rhys's wealth, I'd have alcohol poisoning :/ I am very excited for her next book about Nesta, though.

#25: 5/29/18, Different Seasons by Stephen King
I really liked Shawshank, I hated Apt Pupil, I liked The Body and The Breathing Method was just okay. I hope I can watch the movies sometime.
I also wrote a paper on these, as this was a book for school.
(Side note, if anyone is interested in reading it just let me know. I'd be happy to share it, as it is basically just a more in depth review of the book and my thoughts on comparisons you could draw from each story.)

June: 2 books read

#26: 6/5/18, Rocket Men by Robert Kurson
I loved this book so much.It was written wonderfully, it was inspiring, and amazing. I love the era of the Apollo Missions, & I'm glad I finally got around to learning about the Apollo 8 mission. I could probably read it again and again. It really puts you in the moment, pictures and all.

#27: 6/18/18, The Dark Beneath The Ice by Amelinda Berube
I really enjoyed reading this! It is a mystery thriller due to release in August, & I couldn't put it down! I know this is an author who, as she releases more books, they just get better and better!

July: 3 books read

#28: 7/15/18, The Lightning Thief (Illustrated edition) by Rick Riordan and John Rocco
I read the illustrated edition and it was gorgeous! Reading this book always feels like coming home. I can't wait to read the next one, but I have to wait so long for it to come out 😟

#29: 7/15/18, I Am Still Alive by Kate Alice Marshall
I started this at the end of June and stopped about 5 chapters in. I picked it up again today for Literature and finished it in one sitting. It was super enthralling! Poor Bo. I actually cried, he deserved better.
( I cried a lot because in April, we had to put my dog of 16 years down. I could relate and it was still a fresh wound.)

#30: 7/17/18, The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I am excited to read the sequel. I thought it was Cheesy but pretty awesome. My fave part was the characters, they were very well written.

August: 7 books read

#31: 8/7/18, The Darkest Legacy by Alexandra Bracken
I adore Zu. I am obbsessed with Priya. Roman deserves the world. So does Ruby,Liam and Chubs. I give it 4.5/5 stars because it was awkward in the beginning with all of the lying, but it is one of my favorite TDM books. I hope there is a second, I need to know what happened with Clancy, Wendell and Moore!

#32: 8/16/18, Brave Enough by Kati Gardner
This was such a cute love story, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was reading it. I was really glad no one with cancer died, and that Cason was able to dance again! I'm so excited to meet Kati on the 23rd!

#33: 8/21/18, Across the Universe by Beth Revis
I read this because Beth is coming to Quail Ridge in September, and I read it in one sitting. It was fascinating, but just O.K. Pretty cheesy. I will be reading the second one though.

#34: 3/24/18, Furyborn by Claire Legrand
This is a book that needs to be finished in order to fully appreciate it, go back and sit in awe at the threads that were woven together then go read it again to fully comprehend it. A+ book.

#35: 8/24/18, Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
This was my second time picking this up and & did really enjoy it once I got past the initial awkwardness of it all. I can't wait to read the next one. I totally did not see that plot twist coming.

#36: 8/27/18, Seafire by Natalie C. Parker
I really enjoyed this. I loved the all-girl pirate theme, searching for long lost brothers (which I totally called) and lgbt+ & being deaf just there, as normal as hair color. I cannot wait for the sequel.

#37: 8/31/18, Two Can Keep A Secret by Karen M. McManus
I loved this book so much, I am so thankful that Yara sent it to me to borrow! I can't wait until January when it comes out so I can read it again and review it! I loved the Twin Peaks/ Classic Rock vibes, along with the small town and Halloween aesthetics. I also had no idea that twins featured so heavily in this book! As a twin myself, it was such a relief to read a story about twins where they both end up fine in the end! (Another point for Karen!)

September: 5 books read

#38: 9/2/18, There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
WTF. This book was crazy! I loved it. The horror was perfect, not too creepy but believable, and the romance was realistic. I wish we had gotten more closure with the killer's motives & victim' deaths (Alex 😭) But I understand it was the suspense aspect of the story. I really Liked Makani & Ollie. I wish there was a sequel, but at the same time I don't because I'm fine with the book ending there.

#39: 9/3/18, One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus (reread)
I reread this fully again. Nate and Bronwyn are still my faves. I can't wait for the Maeve sequel!  2020 can't get here soon enough!
(Look, past Sam(tm) finally found out that there would be a sequel!)

#40: 9/3/18, The Leaving by Tara Altebrando
This book had great potential. I felt that we could've learned tons more about the missing kids, the motives, the missing years, and definitely less about Avery (She was a unnecessary.) I wish there was a sequel. Scarlett was my favorite, but that's a stretch because we barely learned anything about her. 2.5 stars.

#41: 9/22/18, To Make Monsters Out Of Girls by Amanda Lovelace
This was a beautiful and thoughtful book told through poem/prose. It is not a book I needed, but I still enjoyed it anyways. It is for women who are or were in abusive relationships. I want to read her other work.

#42: 9/23/18, Give The Dark My Love by Beth Revis
This book blew away all my expectations. It was great. I loved how it started, with the readers already knowing but not truly knowing the ending. The parent & twin deaths hurt though. Twins in YA deserve better. I knew right away Grey was the love interest but that's okay. Sometimes I am okay with that.

October: 11 books read

#43: 10/1/18, Small Spaces by Katherine Arden
This was an excellent spooky book. If I had read this in middle school, I would've loved it even more. I relate to Ollie hardcore about books and nicknames. I'm so glad she and Coco became friends. Brian too. Trauma brings people together 🤷 I'm also glad Coco wasn't made out to be an airhead, Brian a jock and Ollie a nerd.

#44: 10/2/18, The Darkdeep by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs
This was another fantastic spooky middle grade book. I really didn't like Opal at first, but she grew on me. I'm glad the kids weren't overly sexualized. I think the token black kid who doesn't like making rash decisions, aka the one who is the nerdy scared-y cat, is an overrated/overused stereotype, but oh well.

#45: 10/8/18, All Out anthology edited by Saundra Mitchell
This was adorable, relevant, and made me want a significant other. My fave was probably the first one, about the trans outlaw. I probably won't review it because I have no idea how to review anthologies 😕 Listening to Taylor Swift's discography while reading this was an A+ decision.

#46: 10/10/18, The Geography of Lost Things by Jessica Brody
This was a really fun book! Road tripping with your ex, internal trauma about your absent dad, personality quizzes,"trading up", etc. It took place on the west coast, through places like Seaside, Astoria, and Safeway!! it was really fun!

#47: 10/14/18, Hamilton & Peggy! by L.M. Elliot
Chock full of information, story setting, love and revolutionary women. This was a fantastic book, & it makes me really want to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack again. I can't wait to meet Laura Elliot on Nov. 7th!

#48: 10/14/18, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This book was fantastic! I have no idea why I waited this long to read it. I really enjoyed Starr, Seven and Chris. This was a very poignant book. Thanks, Epic Reads for sending me a copy!

#49: 10/15/18, The Princess Saves Herself In This One by Amanda Lovelace
Like TMMOoG, This is a book that undoubtedly some people need, but I'm not one of them. I related to and felt seen in a few of these poems, but this was a book for girls looking to see their self worth. Looking past and reading from parental abuse, to people who look down on you and use you, and to the people who worry about their SO's leaving them, this book has a lot for the people who find it at the right time in their lives.

#50:, 10/15/18, The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One by Amanda Lovelace
This book is all about female empowerment. I think I resonated with this one the most. Reading Amanda's books are an experience.

#51: 10/28/18, Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas
O.M.G. The Thirteen. Gavriel. Dorian & Manon. Aedion & Lysandra. Yrene & Chaol. Nesryn & Sartaq. Aelin & Rowan. I can't believe it's finally over. I need to reread it and find my fave parts. Ugh. My heart.

#52: 10/29/18, Vengeful by V.E. Schwab
This book was made possible by Marcella Riggens & June. I would read a whole book about Marcella, June and Sydney. I know lots of people ended up loving Eli, but I still don't like him. I'm not a huge fan of Victor, and i'm sorry about Dominic.

#53: 10/31/18, Unclaimed Baggage by Jen Doll
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the aesthetic of a small town thrift store, the dynamic of the 3 friends, the friendship between them. I would love to own this book. A great feel good summertime read.

November: 2 books read

#54: 11/17/18, To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
I hate to admit it, but the movie is way better (IMO). Book! Margot is kind of just awful, Peter is more of a jerk, and Josh is still annoying. I kept hearing that Book! Lara Jean was super naive and annoying, but I felt that she was the same as she appears in the movie, and I like her. I think Movie! Chris is better, as well as Gen.

#55: 11/18/18, Unbroken Anthology etided by Marike Nijkamp
This was a fantastic anthology. There were 2 that I really enjoyed. I wish some of the stories has mentioned in more simple terms what the character's disabilities were, but that was only a minor thing. The thing I didn't like was the stories in the book that were written like a play script. I ended up skipping those.

December: 3 books read

#56: 12/4/18, The Color of Lies by C.J.Lyons
The premise of this book was promising, but didn't hold up 😔 The only thing that kept me reading was the synesthesia aspect of the book. It was really interesting to me, because I've never read a book with that! Everyone was pretty annoying, especially Max. The romance was pretty predictable, and the general plot was kinda cliche. There was a major plot twist but it didn't feel fully developed. I feel that if this author had had 5 more years to stew on this book, it would have been great.

#57: 12/7/18, Our Stories, Our Voices anthology, edited by Amy Reed
This book was really great and thought provoking. I was lucky enough to meet some of the authors at Quail Ridge, and Riveted Teen had this book for free, one day only, as part of their 25 days of Christmas! The stories were moving, poignant, and topical. This is a heavy & Deep book, but worth it to read. Tracey Deonn Walker's story was my fave, & my fave author who I met.

#58, 12/19/18, A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Briged Kemmerer
omg. So good. Harper is my favorite character. I grew to like Rhen over time, & I really like Scary Grey. Chapter 36 was my favorite. It made me swoony. I totally called that she was going to tame the monster but I still really enjoyed seeing it happen. I really don't like Jake and Noah though. Super annoying.


So there it is! Most of my 2018 books that I read, 58 books in my book jar!! I plan on doing this again for 2019, and this time I will try not to use "I loved it", "It was fantastic/great" or"I wish". But I am going to try to put star reviews so I can average my reviews for each month, then my average rating at the end of the year. I'm interested to see how it would end up!

Did you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? I'd love to hear them and discuss them with you!

I hope everyone is happy & healthy in 2019! Go forth and read!

-Sam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

2019 Blog Plans