Book Review: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I had the opportunity to read this book when I was in fourth grade, but I found it too confusing. I finally got to read it when I chose the book for my Literature class. Disclaimer: this review counts as my Lit. project for the book. (hi, mom)

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space? (from the AWiT Goodreads page)


MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
For the sake of this review, I will only be doing the most prominent characters. I am not doing every character.
    Meg is labeled as a trouble kid. Ever since her father disappeared, she has been picking fights at school, acting out in class and getting sent to the principles office every other day. She cares about her younger brother Charles Wallace who is like a best friend to her and loves her mom more than anything in the world.
    Charles Wallace is labeled as a moron and idiot around town. At four years old, he hardly speaks at all. In public. At home, he is smarter than anyone there. Charles Wallace is a prodigy child, who you also discover is pretty arrogant when it comes to thinking he is right all of the time and that he knows what is best.
    Calvin is a friend of the brother-sister duo. He meets them while at the haunted house in the woods when Meg and Charles Wallace are walking the dog on their way to ask the Mrs.'s some questions. He comes from a family who doesn't care much about him, so he is glad when the Murray kids want to be friends with him.
    The Mrs.'s are otherworldly beings. Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which are their names, and they can travel through the universe and the fifth dimension. They have come to the haunted house to prepare for their journey, which is to rescue and help the Murray's farther, Mr. Murray. He was attempting inter-dimension traveling and got captured by an evil being on a planet called Camazotz.
    IT controls all who live on Camazotz. There is perfectly punctual families, with everyone doing the same thing at the same time day after day. No one has self control, because they are so brainwashed and mind controlled by IT that they have come to the conclusion that they must do what IT tells them to do. When Mr. Murray traveled to Camazotz, IT took him prisoner. Now Meg, Calvin and Charles Wallace must get him back.

MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
    I liked the story line of the father being missing, so a brother, sister and friend go looking for him with some mystical beings to help them out. It worked well. I definitely believe that this book is geared towards younger readers because I'm sure I would've loved it more if I had actually ended up reading it in fourth grade, but there's not much I can do about that now. I am excited to see the movie that they're making for this book, and I am eager to see if they stayed faithful to the book or made it better or worse. We will see.

OVERALL RATING: 3/5 STARS
A Wrinkle in Time Goodreads Page
A Wrinkle in Time links: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans