Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

As I read the last book in the Starbound trilogy, I can't help but feel sad and impressed at the same time. The books and writing just got better with each new release, and I'm super excited to see how their writing has improved and grown after writing one trilogy together, separate books without each other, and now Unearthed. I can't wait to read it!
   On an unrelated but also kind of related note, I actually made a power point presentation and gave it to my parents on why one of them should take me out of state to see Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff on their Obsidio tour. So far, it's a maybe. Fingers Crossed!


OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
A year ago, Flynn Cormac and Jubilee Chase made the now infamous Avon Broadcast, calling on the galaxy to witness for their planet, and protect them from destruction. Some say Flynn’s a madman, others whisper about conspiracies. Nobody knows the truth. A year before that, Tarver Merendsen and Lilac LaRoux were rescued from a terrible shipwreck—now, they live a public life in front of the cameras, and a secret life away from the world’s gaze.

Now, in the center of the universe on the planet of Corinth, all four are about to collide with two new players, who will bring the fight against LaRoux Industries to a head. Gideon Marchant is an eighteen-year-old computer hacker—a whiz kid and an urban warrior. He’ll climb, abseil and worm his way past the best security measures to pull off onsite hacks that others don’t dare touch.

Sofia Quinn has a killer smile, and by the time you’re done noticing it, she’s got you offering up your wallet, your car, and anything else she desires. She holds LaRoux Industries responsible for the mysterious death of her father and is out for revenge at any cost.

When a LaRoux Industries security breach interrupts Gideon and Sofia’s separate attempts to infiltrate their headquarters, they’re forced to work together to escape. Each of them has their own reason for wanting to take down LaRoux Industries, and neither trusts the other. But working together might be the best chance they have to expose the secrets LRI is so desperate to hide. (from Their Fractured Light Goodreads page)



MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
    Alexis Alice Bianca Sofia is on the run. She is being hunted by a hacker known as The Knave of Hearts, and he won't stop until he gets what he's looking for. She helped Flynn Cormac escape from Avon in This Shattered World, and for the past year she has been playing con artist to get to Roderick LaRoux. She wants to kill him for what he did to Avon's people, and subsequently, her father.
    Gideon is the Knave of Hearts. One of the top hackers in the universe, he has been hunting down information on Roderick LaRoux and LRI industries to stop him from causing harm to others. He and Sofia meet when she tries to throw him under the bus and honestly, that's fair. He was shady and suspicious looking with his reversible jacket that let him change his part of innocent bystander to Working with LRI industries. But that doesn't mean he's on their side.
    About three quarters of the way through the book, you meet Flynn and Jubilee, then Tarver and Lilac. It was so fun seeing all of them together and figuring out all of the connections between them. And then Lilac's father enters the room. And the Whispers make themselves known. And all hell breaks loose. It was captivating.


MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
    I know I said this in my review for the second book in the series, but I liked this book better than the last. And I truly believe that it's because the authors are improving as writers and the world and character growth. This book wasn't an insta-love and as I look back and reflect on the first one, These Broken Stars, I realize that it wasn't insta-love either. I just needed to get used to the writing style since it was so different that what I was used to reading.
    That said, the plot was good. I liked how the story was paced, and enjoyed how all of the characters got together. It let's me see how it might be when the Illuminae Files characters get together since that series has the same set up as this one. First you have the two characters, Lilac and Tarver (Exra and Kady in Illuminae), then Flynn and Lee with a brief look at the first book's characters (Nik and Hanna in Gemina, with small parts of Ezra and Kady) and Finally Sofia and Gideon (and I have no idea who the characters of Obsidio are, all I know is that the story will primarily be about the two of them and then the other four will be incorporated.)
    I really enjoyed Gideon's character, and his reveal of his connection to someone in the group was my favorite part. I loved the whole interaction between the six of them. I enjoyed Mae and Mori and Dr. Rao's characters. I found them interesting despite the few paragraphs of interaction you get with them.

I feel as though I have know these characters for years even though it's been about two weeks. I am glad I decided to buy the first book on a whim when it went on sale for the kindle. Thank you Amie and Meagan, and I can't wait to read Unearthed.

MY OVERALL RATING: 4.7/5
Goodreads link
#1 These Broken Stars links: Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Despoitory - Audible
#2 This Shattered World links: Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
#3 Their Fractured Light links: Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner's most recent book, Unearthed links:
Unearthed Goodreads link: Goodreads
Links to buy Unearthed: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans