Book Review: The Assassin and The Pirate Lord (The Assassins Blade, #1)

          I cannot even tell you how excited I am to write this review. Not only is this my favorite story out of the bind up of The Assassins Blade, it means I am officially starting my Re-read of the Throne of Glass series in anticipation of Kingdom of Ash coming out this October! 😲

Note: I will be using details for each individual novella and not the bind up details. Recommended reading age may differ for the book as a whole. These reviews will also be pretty short, as the stories are short.
So without further ado, here it is!

The Assassin and The Pirate Lord, novella #1 from The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas, published 1/13/12 from Bloomsbury Publishing. No recommended reading age available.

Publisher Description:

          On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She's been sent by the Assassin's Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes - and she will risk everything to right the wrong she's been sent to bring about.


          I read this book soon after I finished Heir of Fire, right before Queen of Shadows was released. I am glad I did honestly, because I believe it is the perfect spot to read it. You're already three books in, so you're invested in the story. all of the Easter eggs throughout the rest of the series happen after Heir of Fire, so you read it at the perfect time. And honestly, I don't know if I would have continued the series if I had started with The Assassins Blade. It wasn't super interesting to me, but I'm glad I read it when I did.
          I loved getting to know who Celaena was before the mines. I really enjoyed Rolfe for some reason as well. I liked how you could tell right from the beginning that Celaena is putting on a figurative mask  about how she feels about other people, by helping the other slaves escape for instance. She put her life, Sam's life and their jobs on the line to set free 200+ slaves. As we will learn in the upcoming novella's, her actions had consequences.
          Sam was an okay character, and I didn't hate him, but I know he gets better as the stories progress. He is not my favorite character in this story. Honestly, he's kind of an ass but so is Celaena and Rolfe and Arrobyn and basically everyone in this story; so I can't say it's a character flaw.

          I look forward to reading the next one and finishing up this book soon so I can get on to the main books in the series! I'm a fast reader, but I have so many books I need to read before I can re-read a series I've read a hundred times before that they have to go on the back burner for now. I had originally planned on following Bloomsbury's read along for this series but they are already up to Heir of Fire and I've finished one novella in the very first book. I'm a bit behind. But they will get done!

My official rating of Novella #1: 4/5 stars
NOTE: I will no longer be giving the link to buy books from Amazon/Audible. Kobo is a online e-reader/audiobook retailer that aims to be like your favorite indie bookstore, but virtual. Here is their site info for more information.
Links to buy The Assassin & The Pirate Lord e-book: Kobo
Links to buy The Assassin's Blade:  Quail Ridge Books - Book Depository - Kobo        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans