Book Review: Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

I will admit, this book was a struggle but I loved it nonetheless. I first heard about it from Piera Forde's book channel on YouTube (who's video's I love btw, definitely check her out). She just raved on and on about it and still does actually. I was unable to find it at any libraries near me so my mom ordered it for me. I read the first 100 pages or so but couldn't really get into the whole premise and the footnote thing. I put it down for a few months, moved across country, and 2 months after getting settled I picked it up again. I was up until 11:30pm reading this book and finished the last 50 pages or so the next morning. So yeah. I'm officially obsessed with this book and have Godsgrave (the second book in the Nevernight chronicles) on hold at my new local library. I can't wait to read it!


OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?



MY THOUGHTS ON: CHARACTERS
    I will just be voicing my thoughts on the most prominent characters such as Mia, Tric, and Ash. 

    Mia is a total badass. It's so easy to see her a a ruthless killer and a 16 year old at the same time, it's almost scary. Most assassin books you read portray the character as coming off older than they are. Not Mia. You can feel her sadness and see her aim for what she wants, plus she doesn't know everything already!. I love her humor and always wanting to show people up, but also knowing when to let things slide by her. Like insults and opportunities. 
    Tric is also a badass. Let's be real here for a second, everyone is these books are badasses because they're all highly trained assassins and know their self worth. But Tric is awesome in his own right. He meets Mia while they're both on their way to the super secret training facility in the mountains to become elite assassins. They help each other get there and become friends afterwards. He doesn't have the best upbringing but is still willing to defend it. One of my favorite scenes with him is when he opens up to Mia about his grandfather and his mother. It was very sad but it really made me appreciate Tric more.
    Ash, in my personal opinion, was kind of a bitch. (Don't @ me). She had her moments but most of the time I didn't really like her. She seemed really cool and then she did a thing and now she doesn't seem so cool. But I've heard things about her in Godsgrave so I'm mentally preparing myself for a redemption arc.


MY THOUGHTS ON: PLOT
    The footnotes were unexpected. I'll just say it. They were a little difficult to read and half the time I would get to the bottom of the page and see all of the footnotes but missed the astrik (*) and had to go back and search the page for it to know what the footnote was related too. It was kind of annoying in the beginning because there were so many and I know that they are to help set up the story and background on things but there were so many unimportant ones that it was annoying and honestly that's probably part of the reason I put off reading this book for so long. I had no idea they were a thing in the first place so when I picked up Nevernight I was surprised. But I figure that it I've heard so many great things about it and no one has mentioned the footnotes I must be in the minority that didn't like them. Don't get me wrong, there were times when it was really funny but most of it was just history. It also bothered me that I couldn't figure out whose perspective it was coming from.
    The rest was good. Just a typical Girl going to assassin training school with a smart mouth and quick reflexes that swears a lot, finding out that others are also like her and learning to be better than everyone else and simultaneously saving the day. Except Jay Kristoff did it fantastically. I was very impressed when I had time to think about it and got over the end (by which I mean I stopped thinking about what happened and focused on other parts of the book). 
    Also, I totally knew that THAT person was behind everything. I so called it. 


MY OVERALL RATING: 4/5 STARS
Goodreads links: Nevernight - Godsgrave - Darkdawn
Links to buy Nevernight: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Links to buy Godsgrave: Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository - Audible
Links to pre-order Darkdawn (the final book in the trilogy!):
Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beth Revis and Kati Gardner

My 2018 wrap-up!

2019 Blog Plans